Get involved and submit your ideas
The International Year of Soils 2015 (IYS) will serve as a platform for raising awareness on the importance of sustainable soil management as the basis for food systems, fuel and fibre production, essential ecosystem functions and ultimately allow for a better adaptation to climate change for present and future generations.
The Global Soil Forum regards this decision by the 68th UN General Assembly as a unique chance to place soils in the post-2015 development agenda. Which is why we are actively seeking inputs from individuals and institutions concerned or involved with sustainable soil management Please feel free to use our comment function to submit your ideas (be it on content or strategies). The Global Soil Forum seeks to take your contributions forward in the planning process leading towards IYS activities in 2015.
The objectives of the IYS are:
- to create awareness amongst civil society and decision makers about the fundamental role soils play in creating a healthy environment for life on this planet;
- to achieve full recognition of the prominent contributions of soils to food security, climate change adaptation and mitigation, essential ecosystem services, poverty alleviation and sustainable development;
- to promote effective policies and actions for the sustainable management and protection of soil resources;
- to sensitize decision-makers about the need for robust investment in sustainable soil management activities which aim at providing healthy soils for different land users and population groups;
- to catalyze initiatives in connection with the SDG process and Post-2015 agenda;
- to advocate rapid enhancement of capacities and systems for soil information collection and monitoring at all levels (global, regional and national).
For regular updates on the IYS activities of the Global Soil Partnership, please click here.